Monday, May 29, 2017

INNER AND OUTER DIVINITY


     THE SILENTEST PLACE

silently go to the silentest place
removing with reverent touch
the last obscuring veil   such
unmediated Light streams out
irradiating your thirsting soul

drink from this Holy Presence
which alone is flawlessly real
so an intimate companionship
wakes the essence of all-that-is
till not even a dust mote is dark

the joy we seek is the joy we are
love we crave is the love we give
curl in closer to hear the singing
the secret psalm of our molecules
the ringing music of the spheres!

all my words run away and hide
they can't define a seed so potent
holding the sun  moon  and stars
your face   my voice   our deaths
our births   the endgame of time

silently go to the silentest place
what you discover   is who you
truly are   that impostor the ego--
demolished!   now no one's left
only this boundless Communion

                    ***


 This poem evokes one aspect of the Divine--"Hidden Transcendence." Here God is silence, emptiness, formlessness--a secret Spirit of Holy Presence at the innermost core of our being, of all being.  This Hidden Transcendence is the crux of who we most deeply are, our profoundest identity. Paradoxically however, we can only come home Here by disappearing! That "impostor the ego" must be demolished. After this happens, our imperious "I" has vanished at last into a transcendent "We" of boundless Communion. 



                    SHOUTING HELLO

something brazenly red is shouting "Hello!"
it's quite far away along the sidewalk as yet
next to a tree and near a parked car   I can't
make out exactly what I'm seeing   just that
it looks huge and round and outrageously red

drawing closer   I realize it's a giant blossom
I don't know what kind of flower   but exotic!
with five petals arrayed in a star-like pattern
a chartreuse pistil thrusts out from the center
there's a fragile black stigma flaring at its tip

what amazes me though--the blossom shouted
"Hello!" hollered from half way down the block
No   not using some humdrum human greeting
nor with any articulation my mind could grasp
it sent a scarlet semaphore straight to my soul!

now we stand here   face to face  (so to speak)
I feel shy   awkward   not knowing what to say
how can I fathom the inner motive of a flower?
but while out walking by myself today   I thank
this red blossom for shouting its joyous "Hello!"

                                ***


   This poem celebrates the outer, incarnate aspect of Divinity--its "Immanent Glory." Only when both inner and outer expressions of Godhead are recognized as One, can we embrace our own wholeness and full potential. That exotic red blossom and I never could have communed with each other, unless each of us first was one with the Hidden Transcendence at the core of our being. One Is All. All Are One. We Are That!

No comments:

Post a Comment